As the weather finally approaches the blissful summer temperatures we’ll soon be complaining about, we’re all, as of now, celebrating. Patios, parks, tank tops: yes please! And luckily for us all, one of the best events in Dallas is coming up encompasses all three of those. The unofficial kick off of summer will certainly be celebrated at Homegrown Fest 5.
While Homegrown is mostly known for the awesome bands that perform, there are also tons of local artists, delicious food & drink, and all around good vibes. Whether you’ve been by now or not, here are a few tips from those of us who have:
1. Get there early to catch a spot on the shady steps on the north side of Main Street Garden. (or wear sunscreen!) The sun feels great for 15 minutes. The sun then burns you. Plan accordingly.
2. Chow down on a Rusty Taco, or three.
3. Chat with Pete Freedman, Founder of Central Track, at his booth.
4. Cool off with some delicious Carnival Barker Ice Cream.
5. Buy a handmade, unique accessory from ThreeRdesigns.
6. Bring your dog.
7. Drink a local brew with people who can’t stop telling you how cute your dog is.
8. Ride your bike there and get free bike valet by Transit Bikes.
9. Pick up a “Folk yeah!” shirt from Dowdy Studio.
10. Take advantage of the free in-and-out to go check out all the foods trucks that will be lined up. (after eating three tacos you’ll still be hungry, trust us.)
And of course, celebrate the 20th anniversary of Rubberneck with The Toadies themselves; they’re headlining the festival this year. You’ll also see performances from local hotshots Seryn and Sarah Jaffe, …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Wild Moccasins, The Suffers, Goodnight Ned, and The Phuss.
Go ahead and purchase your tickets now; they’re $20 online but go up to $25 at the door. And feel free to come air guitar your heart out to “Possum Kingdom” with me. No shame here.
Homegrown Fest 5
Main Street Garden Park
1902 Main Street
Dallas, TX 75201
TICKETS AND MORE INFO