As promised, below you'll find links and information about what the frugal and socially-conscientious Dallas International Film Festival attendee should seek out at this year's festival.
- Abi Ferrin Fashion Rewind: A Reinterpretation of Hollywood Fashion Icons. Remember that this is not JUST a fun, star-studded event; proceeds benefit the Freedom Project, Dallas Film Society, and American Heart Association! Fashion Rewind starts at 9pm on Saturday, April 2nd at South Side on Lamar in the Artist's Quarter. Tickets are $75 and they are going fast. Buy yours before it's too late!
- You can catch just about any screening for only $10! From psychological thrillers, to documentaries, inspiring, based on true a story, adaptations, to family friendly films, there's something for everyone! Get the complete list and schedule, find descriptions of each film, and buy your tickets online through the Dallas Film Society! Tickets can also be purchased at the main box office in Mockingbird Station or at the theaters. If you're purchasing tickets at the theater, make sure to arrive at least 30 minutes early.
- DFS has organized a series of films for an India Spotlight (including films LBW, Mumbai Diaries, and Robot) as well as a Latino Showcase (including films By Day and By Night, Hermano, and Lavoe, The Untold Story).
- Euphoria Live is sure to be a Dallas International Film Festival favorite! For only $25, you can catch DFS Artist in Residence, Rolando Diaz, create an original work of art while composer, Seth Simmons, play an original composition. Buy your tickets online for the Sunday, April 3rd from 7-11pm Euphoria Live performance.
- Family Day is not only entertainment for kids of all ages and their parents, it's also FREE on Saturday, April 2nd! Bring the kids out to North Park Center for family-friendly film screenings, Dallas Theater Center performances, and lots more activities.
- Heart, Hope, and Healing is a the focus of Saturday, April 2nd. You get everything from free healthy snacks from Mission Foods to free health screenings sponsored by Baylor Hospital and the American Heart Association. Get your free glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol screening courtesy of Baylor Heart and Vascular Hospital at Magnolia, Angelika and North Park festival venues between 11am and 2pm and receive a FREE Dallas IFF screening voucher and a coupon for a free product from Mission Foods. And if you wear red to celebrate the American Heart Association that day, you'll receive $2 off a same day ticket or free entry from rush line. For more information, visit the festivals special events page.
- The Film Matters Panel Discussion is a first ever for DFS and is a welcomed addition to the Dallas International Film Festival. In a 3-part panel series, an amazing group of panelists will explore and discuss "WHY, WHAT, and HOW" film can effect social change. Panels begin on Saturday, April 2nd at 11am & 2pm and on Sunday, April 3rd at 3pm. Admission is free and open to the public. Panels will be held at the Dallas IFF Festival Lounge at 1608-C Main St. For more information about the panels and the panelists visit the Panels and Discussion page on DIFF's website.
- For all the filmmakers out there, get to know the legal issues behind making your film by attending a FREE panel on Monday, April 4th at 11am at the Joule Hotel Ballroom. A panel of experienced entertainment lawyers will answer your questions about the legal issues you'll face getting your film from script to screen. RSVP here. This panel is presented by the SMU Sports & Entertainment Law Association and has been approved for 1 hour CLE credit. Donations are strongly encouraged.
With a plethora of films and events for those of us on a budget, everyone is sure to find something to satisfy their festival appetite!